Saturday, August 23, 2008

First Team Run


This morning, we had our first (of many) team runs. I had to be up at 6:45AM in order to be ready in time for Turk to pick me up.

Side Note: I convinced my friend Turk (Andrea) to run the marathon with me. It took about 3 minutes and she said yes and filled out the paperwork. I was amazed. I'm always trying to convince people to do things with me (go to a Cowboys game in Dallas, go skydiving, watch Buffy) and it's never been this easy! In about a couple months when we're logging long miles, she will most likely want to kill me.

So, trying to be a responsible adult, I went to bed early on Friday night. I set the alarm on my cell phone and set it on my nightstand right near my head and fell asleep to the movie, Enchanted as it played in the background. At 3:07 AM, my phone went off, alerting me to a text message. At first, I thought it was already 6:45 and time to wake up. Very soon after, I realized it was a text. Who would be texting me at 3:00 in the morning? I immediately assumed it was a drunk text from my friend, Heather. I checked the message before calling to yell at her only to find that it was Barack Obama (or his campaign but I would like to think Barack was texting me himself) informing me that he had chosen Joe Biden to be his running mate. UGH. So, not only was I awake but Obama chose the one person I was hoping he wouldn't.

So, obviously, not a great start to my morning. Add that to the fact that I had dropped a beam from my cubicle on my foot the day before (don't ask) and I was NOT ready for a run. Luckily, the first day of training was a light day. We just did 30 minutes on a track at Washington and Lee High School in Arlington and then spent the rest of the morning learning about hydration, common injuries and other running equipment.

All in all it was a success. Turk still seems happy that she decided to take this on and my foot did not fall off. Yeay!

Also, there's been a skirt movement in the running world over the last couple of years. I heard about it last year while I was training and scoffed at the idea of doing anything athletic in a mini skirt (never mind the fact that I played field hockey in high school). However, I think I might give it a shot. I mean, I was blessed with nice legs for a reason, right? Might as well show 'em off any chance I get :)

I will report on the benefits (or drawbacks) of running in a skirt as soon as I do a test run.

Also, if you've made it to the end of this post and you want to donate, you can do it here: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/wdw09/adin

1 comment:

Heather said...

HA. I was passed out before 2 last night...open bar does not make for super late nights!